Friday, July 13, 2012

Cloth diaper insert tutorial

I have been using these for a few weeks now and love them. One cool thing about them is that they will move up a size when my little one grows into a larger cover. I have been using gdiapers with this one, and I really love them. I just hate how expensive the cloth inserts are. Between $25 and $30 for six. I am a frugal nut so I had to come up with a way to make this a little more cost effective. So I splurged on the covers and made the inserts.


You will need...
1 yard of Organic Bamboo Fleece or something similar.
Micro fiber terry cloth wash cloths. I found mine for cheap at wal-mart in the automotive department. Or and organic absorbent material for the inside of the insert.
Thread
Scissors
A sewing machine or serger


The bamboo fleece will go against the skin and the micro fiber towel is the internal part that is super absorbent.

I basically made and outer shell from the fleece and used the wash cloth folded into thirds as a stuffer. This way I can separate the two pieces so they wash up better and if I want to use the wash cloth as a wash cloth that option is still available. I also will be able to stuff it even more for a night soaker etc. for more absorbency.
outer shell
Inner absorbent material
Both together
I made them about the size of a gdiaper small insert and it fits perfectly in the small cover. 

Ok, these are fast and easy. I made nine of them in like twenty minutes with a two week old, two year old and four year old all bidding for my attention.

1. I took one of my gdiaper inserts out to use as a template. I folded one of my micro fleece wash cloths into thirds and then folded up the end to make it the same size as my gdiaper insert.
gdiaper insert above 
I know they don't look the same size but it because they are two different pics. Sorry about that.
2. I got out my yard of bamboo fleece which I ordered off of Amazon for like $12 a yard. I cut out nine squares that would tri-fold into the size that would cover the wash cloth with a one inch overlap and a little extra on the short ends for sewing (about half an inch).
3. I took the wash cloth out and set it aside and kept the fleece folded into a pocket as above.

4. Time to sew! I set my machine to a good zig-zag stitch. You can use a serger if you have one. I sewed up the short ends of the inserts with the zig-zag and trimmed off the excess fabric. Done sewing!...Yes, that is it! SO easy.

5. I grabbed my wash cloth that was folded up already and stuffed it into the fleece insert. Perfect!

6. I repeated this process to my delight. 

They seem to be working great with the gdiaper covers, and clean and wash up very good. I may try a different fabric for the inside. (something organic) but this works great for me right now. 

COST: $12 for fleece (I olnly used about half for the nine I made)
             $5 for wash cloths (15)
I made nine. It comes out to just under a dollar for each insert. A much better deal than the store bought ones which are around $4 each.





No comments: