Saturday, July 7, 2012

Miss Cecilia Marie's Grand Entrance!

I thought it very fitting that my third baby would arrive a couple days past her due date as I am a strong supporter that every baby has a slightly different "cooking" time. I wanted to gracefully accept my late status and patiently wait for her arrival on her time. I kept myself pretty busy in the last weeks of my pregnancy so as not to get all impatient and worried about THE DUE DATE. At week forty I was feeling great. Lots of energy, and lots of joy. I really wanted the ability to touch my toes back, but other than that I remained in great spirits to the first contraction.

On June 11th I ran some errands around town and even made a big batch of chicken curry for dinner. (This was amazing because I seriously hadn't had the desire to cook since like the first trimester.) I did some laundry and then put my three and one year old down for bed. I lay my head on my pillow and had a convo with the hubbs, and drifted off to sleep accepting of the fact that I may not go into labor for a week or two. But alas...
I woke up to the suns dim light just creeping up beyond the horizon outside my bedroom window. It was going to be a beautiful day. I lay there for a few minutes in the quite when I felt the first contraction. I have, in my labor experience, been able to easily identify the "real" contractions. My body in labor is like a light switch. One minute It's off, and the next it's on like donky kong! Other women have a much more gradual process that spreads itself over a week or two. I just go into baby birthing zone and there is no going back lol. So at the first contraction I knew it was time. It lasted almost a minute and the next came a few minutes later. By the third contraction I woke my hubbs and told him to call our midwife, doula, and baby sitter friend  cause it was go time. From the beginning of this pregnancy Clint and I had a little concern that our midwife may not make it to our home in time for the delivery. She has to come an hour south from San Antonio. So at the first inclination of labor I had her number on speed dial. By around 6:30 am everyone was on their way to our house. I got in the shower and continued to have contractions that were painful but exciting and manageable. When I got out of the shower my dear friend and doula was there. She was helping me time contractions which were getting pretty close together.
I felt ambitious and decided to curl my hair...yes I did. I know I'm crazy, but it was a great routine and rhythmic type of thing to do while waiting for my midwife, staying on my feet, and managing my contractions joyfully. It really helped me stay relaxed which, in my opinion, is the most important thing when managing your labor. If you tense up and fight what your body is doing you're in for a long time of it. I just tried to go with the direction of the pain and say yes to it in my spirit. My body was doing exactly what it was created to do.

By the time I was done making myself look fabulous ;) I could no longer stand through the contractions. I was getting into transition and when I enter that intense region of contractions I lay on my left side. It's so funny that with all three of my babies I have had the same instinct to lay on my left side during transition. I hummed a low long drone through the rushes and took deep deep breaths. I thought "this is my marathon, and I am pacing myself. This is my work, this is what I was created to do. Just breath in and hum these contractions away." My two girls woke at around 8:00 am and my one year old came in a lay down next to me during the hardest contractions. She held my hand and kissed my belly and softly kept saying "baby, baby". She made transition a breeze with her sweet presence. I seriously think she knew what was happening and knew what I needed in that moment.


My midwife arrived at around 8:45am with her assisting midwife and her apprentice. They began to set up for delivery and checking mine and the babies vitals. Everyone was doing great. My daughters went with my friend into their room and played when I felt the urge to start pushing. My oldest daughter was present for my second babies entire labor. She did great but I had a really intense time of pushing that scared her a little so I decided it would be better this time for them to be close, but out of the room during the intense part. At that time I was already at nine cm.! So happy about that. It had only been about 2 and a half hours and it was already pushing time!
I have never had this verified to me, but I am pretty sure I have a tilted pelvis or something because when I push out babies, I cannot do it on my back. I tried with my first and my second and it got me nowhere. It wasn't till I got totally upright that they finally passed under my pubic bone and came out. This time I was not going to even try to push on my back. I just went straight from my bed to the birthing stool for pushing. it was about 9 am at this point and it really felt like I was having one long never ending contraction. I pushed on the stool really...really really hard for about fifteen minutes and out came this beautiful, perfect baby girl with a full head of dark hair. She let out her first cry before she was all the way out. My midwife placed her in my arms, and I sat there looking at her in joyful awe. She immediately began nursing and pooped and peeded on me while lying in my arms. She's a pro, what can I say.

My midwife let the umbilical cord pump till it stopped and then we cut the cord. My placenta had a hard time releasing, but it finally detached. I was given an herbal tincture under my tongue to stop some bleeding and then I got in bed with my new baby and just took everything for a bit. They measured and weighed her right there in our bedroom and we were so overjoyed. My girls came in and were so in love with her instantly. After a couple of hours the midwife left and Clint's mom arrived to help out for a few days.

Cecilia, your are a joy to have and this is your story of arrival. I hope it gives you strength and joy knowing that you were and always will be a gift of joy like the sun rising in the morning. I love you my angel.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful story of how your newest little angel entered the world. Your positive and healthy outlook on pregnancy is a blessing to women who fear and dread the process! Thanks for sharing!

Joyful Praise Boutique said...

Awww... sweet! love ya girly!